This is the perfect way to use those beautiful tomatoes growing in your garden! With only a few fresh ingredients, you have a light, healthy, and delicious salad. Don't let the summer slip away without making this amazing Caprese salad!
Servings 4 servings
- 8 ounces fresh mozzarella, about ¼-inch thick slices
- 2 medium tomatoes, about ¼-inch thick slices
- basil leaves
- sea salt and fresh ground pepper, to taste
- balsamic glaze, **You can find balsamic glaze in the grocery store, or you can make it yourself. I've included instructions on how to make homemade balsamic glaze below.
Homemade Balsamic Glaze: (optional)
- 1 cup balsamic vinegar
- ¼ cup brown sugar, packed
Arrange the sliced mozzarella, sliced tomatoes, and basil leaves in an alternating pattern on a plate (a slice of mozzarella, tomato, and basil leaf, repeat).
Lightly sprinkle with sea salt and fresh ground pepper to taste.
Drizzle everything with the balsamic glaze with back-and-forth motions.
Homemade balsamic glaze: (optional)
Heat balsamic vinegar and sugar in a small pot or saucepan over medium heat.
Bring to a gentle boil, reduce heat to medium or medium-low heat, and maintain a constant simmer. Stir occasionally until the vinegar thickens and is reduced by about half (about 10 to 15 minutes). It should be thick enough to coat the back of a spoon. The glaze should have the consistency of warm honey. (Be sure to turn on the stove fan, the smell of the cooking vinegar is strong).
Remove from heat and allow to cool completely before serving (about 15 minutes). The glaze will thicken some as it cools.
Store leftover glaze in the refrigerator and use it within two months.