Bacon makes it better! And these bacon-wrapped asparagus bites are no exception. They are the perfect appetizer for your next party or “just because.” Do we really need a good reason to eat bacon?
They say bacon makes it better…and it’s true! If you add bacon to almost anything, it’ll be a hit! I’ve seen it in ice cream, on donuts – even bacon-flavored cotton candy! I’ve also seen some pretty strange bacon flavored foods – so why not bacon-wrapped asparagus? I first tried this at a restaurant and LOVED IT! And it really is so easy to make.
Just bacon and asparagus, a little bit of prep work, and you’ll have a winner of an appetizer to wow your friends and family!
To make this simple dish, wash the asparagus and cut 2 inches off the bottom of the stalks. I have found that the lower half of the asparagus is tougher and more woody; the top two-thirds is more tender and easier to eat. After trimming the asparagus, cut into 2-inch long pieces.
For the bacon, any will work, but the regular-cut bacon works better than the thick-cut bacon. With the thick-cut bacon, your asparagus will be overwhelmed by the bacon in both taste and size – my kids wouldn’t consider that a bad thing, since they are not asparagus fans! Cut the bacon into thirds, which should leave you with pieces of bacon about 3 inches long. The length is not critical, so if your pieces are shorter, it won’t really matter. Wrap the bacon around the asparagus, and secure by sticking a toothpick through the bacon and asparagus.
Bake in a preheated oven at 425 degrees for 20 to 25 minutes, or until the bacon is sizzling and crispy. Leave the toothpicks in the asparagus, as it makes it easier for people to pick them up! Enjoy!
- Preheat oven to 425°. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper, or use an oven-safe rack placed on a baking sheet.
- Wash the asparagus, and trim the bottom third (this part is tough and woody). Cut the remainder of the asparagus into 2-inch pieces.
- Cut the bacon slices into thirds, making 3-inch long pieces. Separate the bacon slices.
- Wrap the bacon around the asparagus and secure with a toothpick. Place on baking sheet, making sure they are not touching each other.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, or until bacon is sizzling and crisp.
- Remove from oven and let sit for 2 minutes before serving. Leave toothpicks in place to make them easier to serve and pick up.