Bacon makes it better! And these bacon-wrapped asparagus bites are no exception. They are the perfect appetizer for your next party or “just because.” Do we really need a good reason to eat bacon?
They say bacon makes it better, and it’s true! If you add bacon to almost anything, it’ll be a hit! I’ve seen it in ice cream, on donuts – even bacon-flavored cotton candy! I’ve also seen some pretty strange bacon-flavored foods – so why not bacon-wrapped asparagus? I first tried this at a restaurant and LOVED IT! And it is so easy to make.
All you need is bacon and asparagus, a little bit of prep work, and you’ll have a winner of an appetizer to wow your friends and family!
To make this simple dish, wash the asparagus and cut two inches off the bottom of the stalks. I have found the lower half of the asparagus to be tougher and more woody; the top two-thirds are more tender and easier to eat. After trimming the asparagus, cut it into 2-inch long pieces.
For the bacon, any brand will work, but the regular-cut bacon works better than the thick-cut bacon. With the thick-cut bacon, your asparagus will be overwhelmed by the bacon in both taste and size – my kids wouldn’t consider that a bad thing since they are not asparagus fans! Cut the bacon into thirds, which should leave you with pieces of bacon about 3 inches long. The length is not critical, so if your pieces are a little shorter, it won’t really matter. Next, wrap the bacon around the asparagus, and secure it by sticking a toothpick through the bacon and asparagus.
Bake in a preheated oven at 425°F for 20 to 25 minutes, or until the bacon is sizzling and crispy. Leave the toothpicks in the asparagus; it makes it easier for people to pick them up! Enjoy!
- Preheat the oven to 425°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper, or use an oven-safe rack placed on a baking sheet.
- Wash the asparagus, and trim the bottom third (this part is tough and woody). Cut the remainder of the asparagus into 2-inch pieces.
- Cut the bacon slices into thirds, making 3-inch long pieces. Separate the bacon slices.
- Wrap the bacon around the asparagus and secure it with a toothpick. Place on a baking sheet, making sure they are not touching each other.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, or until bacon is sizzling and crisp.
- Remove from oven and let sit for 2 minutes before serving. Leave toothpicks in place to make them easier to serve and pick up.