This creamy, dreamy cottage cheese and orange jello dessert is just the dessert you need on those warm summer days! It’s perfect for all of those summer gatherings and picnics. The best part, it comes together in under 15 minutes!
I grew up on this dessert. It was often served at Thanksgiving, Easter, and sometimes Christmas or even potlucks and picnics. I don’t know who came up with the idea to mix jello with cottage cheese and whipped topping, but they are a genius!! Neither of my kids will touch cottage cheese, but they will literally beg for this dessert, and if I don’t make a double batch, it won’t last a day in our house!
If this dessert is not currently a part of your life, I strongly encourage you to make this ASAP! You can thank me later.
There are many versions of this dessert floating around; some call for miniature marshmallows, crushed pineapple, or even green jello. I’m sure they are all great, but to me, this one is pure perfection. There is just something about the orange jello, cottage cheese combination, along with the mandarin oranges, that just does it for me.
One of the best things about this dessert is that it comes together quickly with simple ingredients! As a result, there is no need to spend all morning in the kitchen; 15 minutes is all you need.
There is not much to say on how to make this recipe. First, you mix the powdered jello with the whipped topping, folding it in until it’s thoroughly combined. Next, fold in the cottage cheese, using more or less, depending on desired consistency. I use the full recipe amount; cottage cheese is good for you, so why not. Last you’ll fold in the mandarin oranges. I like to cut the ones I mix into the dessert in half. I usually reserve about 6 to 8 whole slices for garnish. Let the dessert chill in the refrigerator for about 4 hours. It will thicken up as it chills.
You have been warned…this will not last long! You might need to make a second batch. Enjoy!!
Orange Dream Salad
- 1 (8 ounce) carton of whipped topping
- 1 (3 ounce) package of orange Jello
- 1 (16 ounce) tub of cottage cheese, large curd
- 1 (15 ounce) can of mandarin oranges, (reserve some for garnish)
- Mix whipped topping with the powdered jello; mix well.
- Stir in cottage cheese, more or less depending on desired thickness.
- Drain and cut mandarin orange slices in half, reserving some whole pieces for garnish.
- Fold fruit gently into the cottage cheese mixture.
- Chill in the refrigerator for 4 hours. The salad will thicken as it chills.
- Garnish with mandarin oranges and serve.