If you want a dinner that just screams summer, look no farther. This grilled chipotle chicken is balanced perfectly with a sweet peach salsa for a dinner that’s perfect for all your backyard summer barbecues.
I’m always looking for recipes that fit the seasons. Rainy, cold weather needs good soups and crock pot meals. Summers need grilling recipes and recipes that use fresh fruits that are ripe in the summer months. This recipe has both! The flavors in this dish are so amazing! You get a little heat from the chipotle and jalapeno pepper, but it balanced with the cool, refreshing salsa that is bursting with summery flavors! I am confident this will be a hit in your home.
For this recipe I always start with grilling the peaches. That way they can cool as you grill the chicken. Preheat the grill to medium-high heat (the temperature will vary based on your grill). Start by cutting the peaches in half and remove the pit. Brush a little oil on the cut side of the peaches. Put the cut side down on the grill. Grill the peaches, without turning them for 4 to 5 minutes or longer (again it will depend on your grill). You want the peaches to begin to char, (blacken slightly). Remove them form the grill and set aside to cool.
When grilling chicken, I always use thighs. Thighs are more juicy than chicken breasts and you are less likely to end up with dry chicken. The chicken is seasoned on both sides with a little oil, salt, chipotle seasoning and garlic powder. Then I grill the chicken for 4-5 minutes on each side. Your grill temperature and cooking time will vary based on your grill and thickness of the chicken. When grilling chicken, I ALWAYS use a meat thermometer to check if it is done. You do NOT want to eat under cooked chicken. Your chicken is done when the internal temperature reaches 160F.
This is a recipe that I think is enhanced by grilling the chicken, so I highly recommend it! I realize that sometimes grilling isn’t practical or possible, so I’ll provide stove top instructions below, so no one misses out on this amazing recipe.
On the stove top, season the same way you would for grilling it. Heat your pan and 1 tablespoon of oil on the stove over medium-high heat. Place chicken in the pan and cook undisturbed for 5 to 7 minutes. Flip and continue cooking for another 7 minutes or until the internal temperature reaches 160F. Cooking time will always depend on the thickness of the chicken breasts.
While the chicken is grilling, prepare the salsa. Cut up the peaches, avocado, onion and cilantro. Cut the jalapeno pepper in half and remove the seeds, then dice the pepper. Stir everything together, then season with salt and lime juice and give the salsa one final stir. To serve, spoon over chicken and add a lime wedge.
Some of the tools and equipment that I love to use are listed below:
Grilled Chipotle Chicken with Peach Salsa
- 2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 – 4 teaspoons chipotle powder, (amount depends on how much spice you want)
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 peaches, halved and pitted
- 1 avocado, chopped
- ⅓ cup fresh cilantro, coarsely chopped
- ⅓ heaping cup red onion, finely chopped
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and finely chopped, (optional)
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon fresh squeezed lime juice
- 4 lime wedges
- Preheat the grill on medium-high or high heat (it will depend on your grill).
- Cut the peach in half and remove the pit. Brush the cut side of the fruit lightly with olive oil.
- Place on the grill, cut side down and grill until slightly softened and beginning to char, about 4 -5 minutes (depending on your grill). Set aside to cool.
- Prepare the chicken by brushing both side with olive oil and sprinkling with chipotle powder, garlic powder and salt. Grill the chicken, 4 to 5 minutes, flip and continue grilling on the other side for 4 to 5 minutes, (the timing will depend on your grill). Check that the internal temperature of the chicken has reached 160°.
- While the chicken is grilling begin preparing the salsa. Chop the grilled peaches. Add to the peaches, the chopped avocado, cilantro, onion, jalapeno, lime juice and salt. Gentle stir to combine.
- To serve plate the chicken and top with salsa. Add a wedge of lime.