Rich, decadent hot cocoa is one of life’s simple pleasures! And it’s even better when you make it yourself, with just 3 simple ingredients.
My kids love hot cocoa! I drink my coffee in the morning…they drink their hot cocoa…everyone’s happy! One thing I struggled with for years, though, was finding a packaged hot cocoa mix that wasn’t loaded with “extra” ingredients – ingredients that I couldn’t even pronounce! When I would come across hot cocoa packets that I felt comfortable giving to my kids, I often found them expensive. Tired of the frustration, I decided to make it myself. It took longer than I care to admit, but through researching recipes and trial-and-error, voilà! HOMEMADE HOT COCOA MIX! It really isn’t rocket science. It’s incredibly easy to make, and I love that there are no mystery ingredients!
I like to make a batch and store it in a sealable jar. That way, the kids can put together their own hot cocoa in the morning without having to wait for mom to caffeinate up!
For this Recipe:
The recipe has three ingredients – confectioners’ sugar (powdered sugar), powdered cocoa, and salt. The salt really brings out the chocolate flavor, so don’t omit the salt.
When making hot cocoa, it is important to sift your ingredients. This removes any clumps and really helps to get everything incorporated thoroughly.
Store in an airtight container; it will stay fresh for up to 6 months. But if your kids are anything like mine, it won’t last that long!
- Stove Top: Mix 1 cup of milk with 2-3 tablespoons (depending on sweetness preference) of hot cocoa mix in a small saucepan. Heat over medium heat. Bring just to a simmer – but do not boil. Stir so the milk does not scald. Pour into a mug and top with whipped cream or mini marshmallows.
- Microwave: Mix 1 cup of milk with 2-3 tablespoons (depending on sweetness preference) of hot cocoa mix. Heat in the microwave until hot and steaming. Top with whipped cream or mini marshmallows.
**Pro tip (from my kids): Add a splash of French Vanilla creamer to the hot cocoa for a truly decadent experience!
Hot Cocoa Mix
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar (powdered sugar)
- 1 cup unsweetened powdered cocoa, regular or dark
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Sift the confectioners' sugar into a large bowl to remove any clumps. Sift the cocoa powder into the same bowl.
- Add the salt and mix.
- Sift the mixture one last time.
- Store in an airtight container.
To Make a Cup of Hot Cocoa: (Single serving)
- Stove Top: Mix 1 cup of milk with, depending on how rich and sweet you like it, 2-3 tablespoons of hot cocoa mix in a small saucepan. Heat over medium heat. Bring to a simmer – but do not boil. Stir so the milk does not scald. Pour into a mug and top with whipped cream or mini marshmallows.
- Microwave: Mix 1 cup of milk with, depending on your sweet preference, 2-3 tablespoons of hot cocoa mix. Heat in the microwave until hot and steaming. Top with whipped cream or mini marshmallows.