Peanut butter and chocolate are a match made in heaven! And these cookies bring them together perfectly. These might be your new favorite cookie…whip up a batch today!
I remember my mom making these when I was a kid. I could hardly wait for them to cool enough to eat, but still warm enough that the chocolate was soft and gooey. Nothing has changed, I still wait with great anticipation for that first warm chocolaty bite. And now my kids come running into the kitchen, with big smiles asking if they are cooled yet!
These cookies are great with milk chocolate Hershey Kisses, but I ALWAYS make these with dark chocolate Kisses. And trust me, it took these cookies to a whole new level of yumminess!!
These cookies are quite easy to make, and I’ve included a few tips and tricks that I have learned to create the perfect cookie.
The first thing I do is unwrap the chocolates and put them in the refrigerator. This is so the chocolates are nice and cold and hold their shape when they are put on top of a hot cookie.
You under-bake them slightly so they don’t crack too much or split when you press the chocolate into them. They will finish baking on the hot cookie sheet after you take them out of the oven.
Cool the baking sheets completely in between batches. This will help you have plump cookies that do not spread too much. If you do not have time to wait for the pan to cool, you can run the baking sheet under cold water for 30 seconds and then dry it. It takes under a minute, and you’re ready to go.
Some of the tools and equipment that I love to use are listed here:
Peanut Butter Blossoms
- 1¾ cup flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ cup shortening
- ½ cup peanut butter, creamy
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- ½ cup brown sugar, firmly packed
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- ½ cup granulated sugar, for rolling cookies
- Hershey kisses, milk chocolate or dark chocolate
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Open Hershey Kisses and put kisses in the refrigerator. (This is to prevent them from melting too much when you put them on hot cookies).
- Mix flour, baking soda, and salt with a whisk and set aside.
- In a standing mixer, cream together shortening and peanut butter. Gradually add granulated sugar and brown sugar, creaming well.
- Add egg, milk, and vanilla; beat well.
- Add the dry ingredients to wet ingredients, mix well.
- Prepare baking sheets by using a silicone mat or parchment paper.
- Shape and roll cookies into 1 inch balls. Roll in sugar and place on prepared baking sheet.
- Bake for 8 minutes. (Cookies will look a little under-baked).
- Immediately place a Hershey kiss in the center of each cookie, pressing down gently. The cookie should spread out and crack slightly.
- Allow cookies to rest on the baking sheet for 5 minutes before moving cookies to a cooling rack.
- Store cookies in an airtight container for up to 5 days.