This pumpkin roll is a favorite in our house – and I think it will be in yours too! Your friends and family will be amazed, but you don’t have to tell them it’s easier than they think! Keep reading for all my tricks for creating a stunning and delicious pumpkin roll.
In our house, when the kids see that I have bought canned pumpkin, they always ask me to make a pumpkin roll – and I am happy to oblige! This pumpkin roll is my favorite pumpkin recipe…or maybe it’s my Haupia Pumpkin Pie…no the pumpkin roll. Okay, maybe we will call it a tie, (I just love pumpkin!). This is also a fun dessert to serve friends and family, because not only does it taste amazing, it’s a beautiful dessert – just look at that stunning spiral of creamy goodness! The combination of the cream cheese filling surrounded by pumpkin cake, makes for an absolutely delicious dessert that I believe will become a favorite in your house too!
Honestly, making a pumpkin roll is easier than you might think. I’ll share my tips and tricks below. After you make this once, you’ll realize that it’s not too complicated, and absolutely worth taking the time to make. One word of advice, do not rush the process! Allow the cake to cool completely before adding the filling, then chill completely before cutting into it.
TIPS AND TRICKS FOR A PERFECT PUMPKIN ROLL:
- Begin by preheating your oven to 375F. Then prepare your baking sheet. Line your baking sheet with parchment paper, making sure that it goes up all the sides. Lightly spray with non-stick cooking spray. The parchment paper and cooking spray are important because you need the cake to come out cleanly. You do not want your cake to stick or tear.
- Combine all your wet ingredients in a medium bowl, and your dry ingredients in a separate bowl. Then mix everything together, stirring only until combined. Do not overmix! Spread evenly in your prepared pan. Bake 13-15 minutes or until the center of the cake springs back when touched.
- NOW THE IMPORTANT STEPS:
- STEP 1: As soon as your cake comes out of the oven, you’ll want to flip it out of the pan. The easiest way I have discovered to do this is to take a large cutting board covered with parchment paper and place it on top of the cake in the pan (parchment paper down, so when you flip it, the cake is sitting on top the parchment paper). Using oven mitts, flip the pan with the cake and the cutting board in one swift movement. If the parchment paper that was lining the baking sheet comes out with the cake, carefully peel it off the cake.
- STEP 2: Immediately, while the cake is hot, roll the cake along with the parchment paper into a tight roll, starting at the short end. It is critical that you roll the parchment paper with the cake, otherwise your cake, as it cools, will stick to itself and you’ll never get it unrolled. Allow the cake to cool completely on the counter. I usually allow for 2 hours to cool. If your cake hasn’t cooled completely, the filling will become runny and won’t hold its shape. So don’t rush the cooling step.
- STEP 3: Next mix together the filling ingredients – cream cheese, powdered sugar, butter, and vanilla with a hand held mixer. Beat until smooth. Carefully unroll the cake and discard the parchment paper. Don’t worry about getting the cake completely flat, just flat enough to be able to spread the filling on the cake. Spread an even layer of the filling over the cake.
- STEP 4: Reroll the cake and wrap in plastic wrap. Chill in the refrigerator for 2 hours.
To serve, sprinkle the cake with powdered sugar (optional) and cut into one-inch thick slices. Enjoy!
The baking sheet that I use for my pumpkin rolls.
- 17 inch baking sheet
For the Cake:
- ¾ cup flour + 6 tablespoons
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 ½ tablespoons pumpkin pie spice
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 4 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 ½ cups sugar
- 1 cup pumpkin puree
For the Filling
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup powdered sugar, sifted
- 6 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
For the Cake:
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Line a 17-inch cookie sheet with parchment paper, and lightly spray with non-stick cooking spray.
- Cover a large cutting board with parchment paper and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, pumpkin pie spice, and salt.
- In a large bowl with an electric mixer, beat eggs, vanilla, and sugar until thick. Add in the pumpkin, and mix to combine.
- Stir flour mixture into the pumpkin mixture.
- Spread the batter evenly into the prepared pan. Bake for 13 to 15 minutes, or until the top of the cake springs back when touched.
- When you take the cake out of the oven, immediately loosen and turn the cake onto the parchment paper-covered cutting board. It's easiest to put the parchment paper and cutting board on top of the cake, and flip together.
- Roll up the cake and the parchment paper together, starting at the narrow end. Cool completely on a wire cooling rack.
For the Filling:
- In a medium bowl, beat the cream cheese, powdered sugar, butter, and vanilla extract until smooth.
- Carefully unroll cooled cake, remove parchment paper.
- Spread cream cheese mixture evenly over cake. Reroll cake.
- Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate at least two hours.
- Cut into 1-inch thick slices and serve.